Monday, January 24, 2011

Decisions...decisions....

I know I picked the right career in life. The path wasn't straight and it definitely wasn't the easiest at times but I'm so happy with the decisions I have made. For one thing, I'm glad I'm not going into psychiatry. I'm on my psych rotation right now and every.....single.....morning.....it is the same thing "ugh, Kelsey, do we have to go in today?!" {Kelsey is one of my roommates and fellow med student.) I have the hardest time finding motivation to head into psych even though my days on the wards are actually pretty relaxed. And but pretty relaxed, I mean really relaxed. Here is what my days have consisted of for the past month. I wake up, hit the snooze {if you know me, I rarely ever hit the snooze button - I like uninterrupted sleep. So if I were going to snooze, I'd just set my alarm for a later time}, roll out of bed, jump in the shower, eat breakfast, watch some news, start my car with my fantastic automatic starter {thanks Ryan}, make it to the ward at 815ish, look up overnight events, team rounds from 9-1030ish and then I write notes, take an hour lunch break and then finish my notes and head home. Today I was done at 130ish. Even with my days being pretty light, I still don't like psych. It just doesn't float my boat.

Do you know what floats my boat? OB/GYN!!! I love, Love, LOVE this field of medicine. The days can be long {ahh, I'm having flashbacks to my gyn/onc rotations and my days that started at 530a and rarely ended prior to 6 or 7p} but I still love it! I love it even more than family practice which I thought is where I was headed in medicine but that's a post for another day :-) I have to submit my rank list for residency in the next couple weeks {prior to Hawaii so I can leave MN with no worries}. I should probably just submit my list now since I pretty much know the programs I really liked: Omaha, Ann Arbor and Rochester NY. We'll see what happens on Match Day {St. Patty's day this year!}.

You know, it's funny - sometimes you think you are headed down one path in life and then when life really happens, you are headed down a different path. I've learned that life is life and for the most part things happen for a reason and turn out the way they should. That's what I'm keeping in mind especially with Match Day approaching {please, please, please don't let me have to scramble -ha!}.

~Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment