Friday, March 4, 2011

It's A Blowhole!

On Tuesday morning, Ryan and I set out to see the Nakalele Blowhole. To get there, we had to drive the Kahekili Highway which was a narrow, windy little road to say the least. We zig-zaged back and forth through the rainforest for quite some time. We attempted to video tape a section of it, but it ate up too much of Ryan's cellphone memory {I had forgotten to put the memory card back into the camera the night before after loading pics onto my computer - oops - darn it!}. So all of the pictures in this post are cellphone pictures unfortunately.
The road got pretty narrow!

A wall to one side and a complete drop off on the other side.

Dinner?

I don't think they really needed to post this sign. We were well aware there was no shoulder!
We drove down into this little village about halfway through the single lane, winding road and they were selling breads, fruits and vegetables.
We stopped and bought banana bread. It was so good eating it when it was hot :)
A little further down the road from this banana bread stand, one of the locals was dancing in the middle of the street to make you stop and buy his stuff. It worked! Ryan and I bought some sun dried mango which was sooo good. {we actually stopped on the way back and bought more - ha!}

Even though I had to keep my eyes on the road for a majority of the drive, the area we drove through was beautiful!
Maui is so lush compared to the big island!



What a fine road huh?!


Once we made it to the right area, we pulled over and started our hike to the blowhole. The terrain we were walking over seriously reminded me of mars.




This is the first, small blowhole we came across on our hike.


This is the Nakalele blowhole.






You can get to the blowhole from two different ways. These are the people that didn't want to hike (the easier) path down to the blowhole. Ryan and I hiked the scenic path.

These rocks were described as 'acid-washed' in my guide book.

We came across a meditation labyrinth on our hike out. It brought me back to being at KokoLulu a few weeks back.

LOL - on the way home, I asked Ryan to fill up my water bottle with one of our larger bottles of water. The large bottle of water was seriously filled to the brim and this is what happened when I put the brakes on to make a turn - lol. Ryan is such a good sport!

~Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment