Friday, May 13, 2011

Double Movie Review: Fast Five and Hanna

Last week, I had a required meeting up in the Twin Cities for medical school. After my meeting, which ended up not applying to me and being a big waste of time and not to mention gas money driving up to the TC and back, Ryan and I went to see a movie with Kelsey. When we got to the theater, the only movie showing at the time remotely close to when we arrived was Fast Five. Of course Ryan wanted to see this movie, but it wasn't necessarily one Kelsey or I would have picked to go to. But Fast Five it was. Fast Five is the fifth in the Fast and the Furious series. I think I have only seen the first two and Kelsey hadn't seen any! Good thing you didn't need knowledge from the prior movies to enjoy this one. It was pretty action packed and the entire time I thought to myself, well no, I actually vocalized many times to Ryan and Kelsey throughout the movie, "I can't believe this is only rated PG-13!" If I had a 13 year old, I certainly wouldn't have wanted them to be watching this movie. No wonder why little kids these days are getting so violent! I think the rating system has loosened the reigns a little bit since I was a kid. This definitely would have been rated R in my day. {Okay, I know, I'm growing up and getting old.}
Google Images

Anyways, back to the review. For not really having any expectations and not really being into fast cars, I thought this was a pretty good movie {minus the inappropriateness of its rating}. It had a decent plot and was actually pretty good. I think Kelsey thought it was pretty good as well, although I know she would have preferred a chick flick :-)

Ryan gives it 3.75 our of 5 stars because the "action and entertainment was awesome."
I give it 3 stars out of 5 because it had a little too much violence for me and I'm not a fast car junky. Too much shoot-em-up and break-the-law for me.

At the beginning of this week, Ryan and I were down in Omaha continuing our search for a place to live. We stayed at Ryan's friend Ed's house while we were there {soooo happy not to have to pay for a hotel for the two nights we were there!} so we took him out for dinner and a movie. We went to a really good restaurant, I wish I could remember the name of it, and then hit the theater, where we saw the movie Hanna. We missed the first 5 or so minutes of the movie because we were driving there from the restaurant. I kind of wish we would have seen the entire movie because I feel like I missed something in the beginning, like why Hanna and her dad were hiding out in the arctic and why they decided they wanted to be found after many, many years of hiding. Who knows, maybe the didn't even address that in the first five minutes.

Google Images
So this movie is basically about Hanna and her father who are wanted by federal agents. Her father leaves the arctic and then Hanna is found by federal agents in there long term hiding spot. She then escapes after they get her in custody and the movie documents her trying to met back up with her father in Germany. The movie is good but I don't know if I would necessarily see it again in the theater. I might rent it from a Red Box for a dollar just to see what happens in the first five minutes that we missed. There was no love story like most other movies. It was violent, but they did show the actual violent scenes, like where people were getting shot. I still covered my eyes and made Ryan tell me when the violence was over - ha!

Ryan gives it 4 out of 5 stars because "Great action, good fight scenes, slightly weak story but they make it work. Cool to see a female lead." {maybe if they incorporated a love story into it, Ryan would have liked it a little better!}
I give it 3 out of 5 stars because there was no love story :) and the violence.

~Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment