Saturday, May 14, 2011

Going Away Party for Bryan

Last Saturday, after my big graduation day on Friday, Ryan and I went to Luverne, MN for Ryan's cousin Bryan's going away party. Bryan is in the military and is being called up to serve over the the Iraq area. {I'm not sure where exactly he is going to be stationed.} Once Ryan and I actually got moving on Saturday {we were exhausted from Friday} we packed our bags not only for the night in Luverne but also for a few additional nights as we continued to Omaha after the party. I also had to pack up my flowers I got for graduation as we discovered our naughty cat Cooper likes to eat flowers! Seriously, I got home from the graduation festivities, put the flowers on the counter, went to the bathroom and came back out to see that Cooper had already eaten two of my tulips! Naughty!!! I had to put the flowers in the bathroom and shut the door to keep Cooper away from them and even then, in the middle of the night, he was banging on the bathroom door to get in to get the flowers :( So I brought them with us. They traveled quite well in an ice cream bucket with dish towels around the vase!

Okay, so I digressed. Once in Luverne, we first stopped by Ryan's grandma Lois' house so Renee could make some BBQ meatballs to bring to the party. I should add at this point that Renee was having just as hard of time waking up in the morning as Ryan and I and was a little sleepy the entire day. Anyways, she started warming the meatballs in two separate pans. {I should add that when I first started dating Ryan, we were at his parent's house for supper and he told me "You'll know when dinner is done because the smoke detector will go off." After laughing and telling him that wasn't very nice to say, he told me he was serious and that they even had to buy a smoke detector where you could push a button and prevent it from going off for 15 minutes. Well, a few minutes later, the smoke detector went off and supper was done :)} So back to Renee making meatballs. One of the pans was turned on and the meatballs started burning while the other pan wasn't turned on, it was the burner in front of the pan. lol. Oh Renee, bless her heart. I feel so bad because of course Ryan gave her crap for "burning frozen meatballs". She is such a good sport. She cut off the little burned parts and was back on track. Renee really is a good spirited person :)

At Bryan and his wife Sara's place we talked and visited with lots of Ryan's family. The younger cousins were playing ball in the back yard and Bryan grilled up some delicious ribs on the grill. He made two different batches of ribs: spicy and non-spicy. Bryan and Sara's son Jayden ate one of the ribs and told his mom, "ah, spicy!" So I asked, "oh, they are spicy?" and Sara told me, "They are 5-year-old spicy." So I thought no big deal, I should be able to handle them. Yeah, famous last thoughts. My mouth was burning! The ribs were good, don't get me wrong, but they had this after-burn that lingered in my mouth for several minutes :) I'm not a spicy girl, that's for sure.

As the night went on, Bryan and Ryan continued to drink keg beer and became quite the show! They were having a good time and I swore they were going to have massive headaches in the morning {which to my surprise they didn't!} Renee might be mad at me for sharing this next story but I want to document the laughs and stories from the night. For a majority of the party, we were all out on the porch. Bryan and Sarah have a sliding glass door to the porch in addition to a sliding screen door. They kept the screen door shut as to keep the dogs out of the house. Poor Renee got up to go inside and ran straight into the screen door! She didn't just run into it, she bounced off of it...hehe. After this happened, she turned around to see if anyone had noticed and there I was belly laughing with Ryan's aunt Chris...lol! She was hoping nobody saw but since we did, she shared in the laughs with us :)

Renee wasn't the only one initiating laughs that night. I had just gone inside to grab a drink and when I came back out on the porch, Bryan bumped me and I spilled it all over his leg/shoe, Steve's leg and my pant leg - ha! I blame it on Bryan and his lack of awareness of his body position :) Ryan took the heat off of me when he spilled his drink on himself...lol....I keep telling him that he feel asleep. He tells me that he just lost grip of it.

Later in the night the littler kids roasted chocolate marshmallows. I thought it was cute - Jayden would roast a marshmallow and then bring it up to the porch and give it to one of the adults. When it was my turn to get a marshmallow from him, he ran up to me with a marshmallow on the end of an extremely long roasting stick and said "Here you go!" I pulled it off the end and Jayden turned around and ran back to the fire to start roasting the next. When I looked at the marshmallow, there were a ton of grass shoved into the top where it was on the stick! lol. Apparently Jayden had been playing with the roasting stick on the lawn! A few pieces of grass never hurt anyone, right?! Jayden is such a cutie!

Jayden also let me paint his toenails that night. I can't remember what we were doing or why I even asked if he wanted me to paint his toes, but I figured he would say no. Boy was I wrong! He really wanted me to! Sara told him that Bryan would be mad if he painted his toes, but Jayden wouldn't give up, he really wanted his toes painted. He even ran inside and brought me the orange nail polish he wanted on his toes. I told him I couldn't paint his toes if his mom said no. He kept asking her and she finally told him that if his dad said it was ok, he could get his toes painted, but he would have to wear shoes and not sandals to church in the morning. Jayden ran off and asked his dad {who was feeling pretty good with Ryan and all the keg beer at this point in time.} Well, Bryan said yes, so I got to paint his toenails orange.

Jayden getting his toenails painted. He was enjoying it. Someone told him people were going to laugh at his toes because painted toenails was for girls and Jayden's response was "I don't care if people are going to laugh at me!" He has quite the confidence and independence!

Close-up action shot. His feet were soooo dirty from running and playing in the yard :) After I finished painting all ten toes, Jayden patiently laid on the floor until the were dry.
Jayden, the orange toe-nailed little guy and me :)

As 11:30 rolled around, I was getting tired and decided it was time to go to bed. Ryan and Bryan weren't happy that the drinking duo was getting split up for the night but I think it was a good thing....

~Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment