Thursday, April 14, 2011

Getting Lots Done

This week has been a week of progress here at the Thorson house!

Saturday:
Had a late lunch at Ryan's parent's house for his birthday. We cooked up a turkey with all the fixings and had DQ ice cream cake for dessert. Once we got home, Ryan and I cleaned the kitchen which was in pretty tough shape and started on our mountain of laundry.

Sunday:
Continued doing the laundry, finished it all and put it all away (this usually doesn't happen on the same day - ha!). Ryan and I both went through our clothes and pulled out things we no longer wear and packed it all up for the Epilepsy Foundation. When we packed it all up, we didn't know when the next time they'd be around but just yesterday I got the flyer in the mail and they'll be here on Monday - perfect timing! Ryan cleaned up the downstairs and I cleaned the dining room, front room and entryway. I was out the door by 5:30pm to go to my parent's house. After an excellent dinner of chicken, steak and shrimp I dropped my Explorer off at the dealership.

Monday:
Dentist day! I had a cracked filling repaired in the morning, relaxed the rest of the morning and into the afternoon, took Sophie for a ride into town, shipped our disappointing Litter Robot back to the manufacturer, visited with some of the staff at work, picked up my Explorer (got an oil, anti-freeze, coolant, spark plugs and air filter changed) and then went back home. My car should be good to go for another 100,000 miles ;) After my mom got off work, we went to Edenvale Garden Center as they just re-opened for the spring. Unfortunately they only had trees and shurbs but we looked around and got some ideas for my house. I tell ya, the things I'd do if my cash flow was endless! We ate dinner at Panera and then picked up a few groceries before heading home. Before falling asleep, I tired calling Hillary (who was already asleep), to wish her a happy birthday.

Tuesday:
Dug up some day lilies and a bleeding heart from my mom's garden. Got my stuff packed up and headed into town. They were a person short out in production so I went out back and helped for a while. After having lunch with my parents, I started the hour drive back home. It was SO beautiful outside. Once I was home, I changed clothes and started working on the gardens outside. First I planted the bleeding heart. Then I pruned the hydrangeas and cleaned out all the dead tree leaves from around their bases. Then I dragged out the hose and fertilized everything. Since it was SO nice out, I decided I'd work on this flower bed on the side of our garage, which is something I've been meaning to do since we moved in. Well, a small project turned into a big project. I started to pulled all the grass out of the bed and digging up the roots. Then I decided to dig up all the hostas which were in the bed but haven't been growing well due to the grass and really get all the grass roots out of there. This was a pain, but it needed to be done. Then after dividing the hostas, I re-planted them. Hopefully they will come up better this year. After I finished that, it was still beautiful out that I didn't want to go back inside (plus the cats were enjoying sitting at the front door as we took the glass out and put the screen in the door) and I also had a bunch of hostas left over that I didn't want to compost. So I decided to extend the flower bed the entire length of the garage which made it twice as big. There I sat until 8:30 pm - working on digging the grass up, planting the rest of the hostas and finally planting the day lilies from my mom's garden as well. It wasn't fun, but it's done now and it looks awesome!

Wednesday:
Not wanting all that grass to grow back into the garden, I went to Lowe's to pick up some edging. It was cold and a little rainy out and I could NOT find the motivation to put the edging in. So what did I do? I cleaned out the garage! What? That's not what people normally do? Oh :) After cleaning the garage I figured the edging wasn't going to put itself in so I bit the bullet and put the edging in. What do you know, I was two feet short on the edging - ugh! Back to Lowe's I will be going to get more edging, but not today. I hate making multiple trips to Lowe's. We ALWAYS have to make multiple trips to Lowe's whenever we are going any sort of home improvement project. Good thing they are close by! After finishing the edging that I had, I pounded a dozen fertilizer spikes into the ground around the pine tress in the back yard and then fertilized the hydrangeas once again (I want them to be big and beautiful this year!). Then, I called it a day and spent a good chunk of the night on the phone with Kristin, looking at shoes online for Hillary's wedding. Oh yeah, earlier in the morning I put an order in for some tulips!! YAY! I wish we were going to be here next year when they come up - oh well, I'll see them in four years :)

Today:
My motivation is dwindling! After eating breakfast and watching the morning news, I snuggled with the kiddos (aka Cooper and Zoey) for a bit. Still not having much motivation I made my way downstairs to clean the basement. But first I cleaned the cat litter as today is garbage day. I like to throw as much stuff away on Thursdays prior to the garbage truck coming - fill up that kirby. Our basement wasn't really that messy, well, ok it was messy but just because we were wiring it up and putting in lights, etc. So there was saw dust everywhere and bits and pieces of wiring remnants here and there. So I cleaned it all up - filled a garage bag of crap and got it in the kirby prior to the garbage people coming - yes! I love the feeling of getting more stuff in the garbage :) Weird? Yes, most likely, but I like de-cluttering our life :) Now the basement is cleaned and ready for us to move the stuff that isn't moving to Omaha with us down there. Now I'm really feeling lazy. We'll see what I do this afternoon.

~Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment